Information regarding the long-awaited role lock feature was accidentally leaked on the official Overwatch League website. Here’s everything you need to know.
What is Role Lock?
Also referred to as Role Queue, Role Lock is a heavily requested feature by a majority of Overwatch players. Role Lock is meant to force players to queue in as a specific hero type. These hero types being Damage, Tank, and Support.
Damage heroes, also known as DPS, refer to:
- Ashe, Bastion, Doomfist, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, McCree, Mei, Pharah, Reaper, Soldier: 76, Sombra, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Tracer, and Widowmaker.
Tanks refers to:
- D.VA, Orisa, Reinhardt, Roadhog, Winston, Wrecking Ball, and Zarya.
Supports refers to:
- Ana, Brigitte, Lucio, Mercy, Moira, and Zenyatta.
For some players these categories are far too broad and believe that some heroes can play multiple roles. For example, D.VA could be considered both a Tank and a DPS do to her damage output and health.
With Role Lock it’s a 2-2-2 queue, meaning 2 DPS, 2 Tanks and 2 Support.
What was leaked?
At around 12:50AM Eastern Standard Time, the official Overwatch League website had this image up:
The link to this image through the official website no longer works and simply displays a
“500 ERROR: It’s high noon in our server room! Please try again later.”
The original discoverer of this leak is seemingly unknown, however, the earliest post I found about the leak was from @OverwatchNaeri on Twitter. Originally, the image was thought to be hoax due to some improper grammar. But after finding the now closed link to the site that had the image, it has been deemed legitimate by fans.
In addition to the image, there was supposedly an interview between Malik Forteand the Overwatch League Senior Product Director Jonathan Spector.
The video was titled “Watchpoint Stage 4 Preview.” This interview was supposedly meant to air Thursday, July 18 at 11 AM Pacific Standard Time. It’s believed that it will be paired with Blizzard streams from Seagull and Fran.
The surprise that came from this leak was not that there was going to be Role Lock within the League but that there would be one in the base game.
Later during the day, Blizzard released a video introducing Role Queue which confirmed the leaked page:
As it was something heavily requested by fans, comments/reactions are mostly positive.
However, it doesn’t take a deep dive to find some comments pointing out the flaws. The following comments were taken from DocterrificDoc’s post on r/Overwatch titled “Role Queue CONFIRMED to be coming to the main game (Time – 5:01)!”:
- “The seating thing seems pointless and just asking for technical difficulties.” -u/diracalpha
- “The issue will arise where your two dps players only play sym and doomfist while the other team plays Pharah and [neither] of your dps can play widow” -u/amaldito
- “[T]he idea of separate SR sounds great if the comments in this thread are right on that. But on the other hand, again as others have said, this prevents you from being able to go man my DPS sucks today can I switch with a tank/healer, or running 3 DPS to bunker bust… lots of legitimate, creative, team comps tailored to specific situations are going to die.” -u/SanctumWrites
Nevertheless, this change seems to be getting current players hyped and players who previously quit back into the game.
- “This seriously gets me hyped again for overwatch. I enjoy the game and all, but this roll lock will improve the quality of the games tremendously.” -u/buckfrrtg
- “[Explicit] yeah. We can finally have a plat level support, plat level tank and plat level DPS in a plat level comp game. I felt so bad dragging the team down for being forced to play a shitty off tank (probably bronze/silver level) when my go-to is Ana which is actually at plat level. I can imagine this would really raise the skill level of play for each rank by a tremendous amount.” -u/tcgtms
- “I haven’t played the game in two years and this is the update that will probably bring me back to playing it.” -u/tel3
Whether or not players are excited about this leak, if it holds true it will definitely be a positive for the world of Overwatch.