The Overwatch 2019 Anniversary Events brings a boatload of new customizable and brings back some fan favorite classics. Let’s take a deeper look at what we are getting from Blizzard for this anniversary.
Welcome to 2019’s Overwatch Anniversary Event
What’s New? Besides bringing back all of last year’s anniversary legendary skins, this year’s event brings players eleven new skins. The six new Legendary skins are the following:
D.VA’s “Academy” skin:
Winston’s “Gargoyle” skin:
Mei’s “Honeydew” skin:
Pharah’s “Orbital” skin:
Brigitte’s “Riot Police” skin:
Roadhog’s “Toxic” skin:
Along with these new Legendary skins, Epic ones were added too. The following are the five new Epic skins:
Pharah’s “Carbon Fiber” skin:
Doomfist’s “Carbon Fiber” skin:
Widow’s “Electric” skin:
D.VA’s “Midnight” skin:
Sombra’s “Oro” skin:
The fan favorite of these eleven new skins so far seems to be Mei’s “Honeydew” skin. Mei’s new choice of ammunition paired with the new skin is by far the primary reason fans are in love with it. Usually, Mei’s gun is filled with a blue liquid that is presumably some sort of cryo-liquid.
Image of Mei’s default skinned gun:
But now clothed in waitress attire decorated like that of fresh honeydew, Mei has armed herself with bubble tea. Not only is she shooting the tea itself, but the tapioca balls as well. Link to a video of the new gun in action: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/brjw77/meis_gun_is_literally_filled_with_bubble_tea/
The least favorite skin so far seems to be Brigitte’s “Riot Police” skin. In a reddit post on r/Overwatch by user 4CETHETICS titled “I didn’t quite like the colors on the Brigitte Riot Police skin, so I did my own version”, some players left their opinions and the new skin. The following are comments taken from 4CETHETICS’ post:
“You literally made these infinitely better. I hate how bright the blue is.” -u/JackGlinsky
“My friend said “There’s a riot skin for Brig!” and I got really hype. Logged in to the candy cool aid blue color for it and was deflated instantly. It’s so weirdly bright, I wish it was a bit more drab.” -u/Handsyboy
“Yeah, that blue is just too much. I literally thought she was a Lego police officer when I first saw her.” -u/TheRubberBildo
All of the comments above were made in reference to 4CETHETICS’ fan-made versions of the skin.
Besides skins, three new emotes where added.
- Wrecking Ball
They all finally got their much-awaited dance emotes. So far the fan favorite of the three seems to be Wrecking Ball’s “Hamster Dance”.
Here’s the video of the emote:
If you would like to see all the limited skins and emotes you can potentially unlock during this event, follow this link for more: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/events/anniversary/
Along with this year’s Anniversary Event, a new patch was implemented. The patch implements The Workshop, some hero/general updates, and some hero/general bug fixes. In terms of Hero Updates:
- Baptiste’s ability called “Immortality Field” was updated so that “[i]f it lands on a moving platform, it will move along with the platform.”
- Wrecking Ball’s ability called “Minefield” was updated so that “[i]f a mine lands on a moving platform, it will move along with the platform.”
Plays of the Game
- Improved the kill cameras during the Play of the Game replay to better match what happened in-game
- Fixed a bug where Immortality Field would become stuck under some objects.
- Fixed a bug where Immortality Field would behave oddly when placed on a moving platform.
- Fixed a bug where a healing grenade would appear in his Biotic Launcher when it is out of ammo.
- Fixed a bug where the healing grenades from the Biotic Launcher wouldn’t hit teammates when deflected by Genji’s Deflect.
- Fixed a bug where D.Va’s speed when using Boosters decreased dramatically when flying over some platforms.
- Fixed an issue where Seismic Slam would sometimes not damage people when it should have.
- Fixed a bug where Genji couldn’t climb up certain pillars on the Havana map.
- Fixed a bug where Hanzo couldn’t climb up certain pillars on the Havana map.
- Fixed a bug where Junkrat would slide off a moving platform when using his ultimate.
- Fixed a bug with Moira’s Scientist skin where her lab coat would clip into itself while using the Erlenmeyer victory pose.
- Fixed a bug where damage boosting from a teammate’s ability (such as Baptiste’s Amplification Matrix) would count towards Orisa’s damage amplified statistic when using Supercharger.
- Fixed a bug where Wrecking Ball could use Piledriver without regard to its ability cooldown in some circumstances.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Play of the Game replays to be jittery when played at frame rates higher than 60.
- Made stability improvements.
The Overwatch subreddit up until now always contained one or two posts complaining about the lack of legendaries or epics in loot boxes. The Overwatch team over at Blizzard HQ seemed to listen to these complaints, or just to celebrate the anniversary event, and increased the drop rate of legendaries. Reddit users like ZeekOotin, karvus89, and Swathe88 have flooded r/Overwatch with their new found luck.
You have until the 10th of June to get lucky like ZeekOotin and unlock some of these crazy cool unlockables.
Over the last three years, you’ve escorted endless payloads, captured countless points, and booped oodles of enemies. Now that’s something to celebrate!
Welcome to Overwatch Anniversary 2019!
— Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) May 21, 2019