PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console
Sony decided to do something special back in 1998. The gaming system had sold over 10 million consoles over the years since inception and Sony came out with it’s PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console. The details of the special edition console can be cloudy especially when doing a search on Google. You really need to access a number of websites to get granular on the details and piece everything together.
Here is what we know for certain:
Despite what some sites might say, we know the details below are 100% true.
- The color was a midnight blue matte finish. Some sites claim that there was a “black matte finish” PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console, however, this was purely based on images from the internet which the lighting would make the console look “black”. If there was an actual “black matte” PlayStation console, it wasn’t a “10 Million” console prize but the Sony PlayStation Net Yaroze console (link here).
- The PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console was never sold. It was a prize for a contest.
- 300 of these PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console s were released per region (100 in the US, 100 in PAL and 100 in Japan).
- Each PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console had a “PlayStation 10 Million Mode; ‘Not For Sale’ ” sticker at the back of the console.
In terms of the prize console sweepstakes, it seems that the entries were rather different for each region (US, PAL, JP). From the PlayStation US website under the “Win Stuff” section was the listing for “The PlayStation 10,000,000 Sweepstakes”.
Here’s the description: “We’re on the verge of selling our 10 millionth PlayStation in North America. In fact, we’re the first in the next-gen industry to achieve such heights. To celebrate, we’re giving away 100 Limited Edition PlayStation game consoles and 1000 Limited Edition Dual Shock Analog Controllers – both in fetching midnight blue! Enter to win!”. (taken from strefapsx.pl website)
We weren’t able to find out what the details exactly were, however, for the PAL region there were certain tiers and shown in one of the videos below the contest winner played Mortal Kombat 3 in order to win the 10 Million PlayStation console. It’s not clear what was needed to be done in MK3, or if the winner entered a tournament locally but they won it through MK3. Perhaps it was the same worldwide.
Here are the details of the console from the manufacturers site:
- For all fans of Japanese RPGs, 2D scrolling shooters, and platformers, the Sony PlayStation 1 SCPH-7001 video game console brings to life the magic of gaming with its 16.7 million colors and 24-bit color depth. The AV multiout port of this Sony PS1 10 Million Special Edition Midnight Blue console enables you to connect it to your television, for a big screen gaming experience. The Dual Shock controller of the Sony PlayStation 1 SCPH-7001 video game console provides vibration feedback, based on the on-screen action of the game. Using the serial and parallel ports, you can connect peripheral devices to this Sony PS1 10 Million Special Edition Midnight Blue console. The memory card slots of the Sony PlayStation 1 SCPH-7001 enable you to increase the overall storage of the device.
- Brand: Sony
- Product Name: Sony PlayStation
- Product Line: Sony PlayStation
- Type: Console
- Console Color: Midnight Blue
- Edition: 10 Million Special Edition
- Audio Output Support: Stereo
Power & Battery
- Power Source Types: Power Supply – internal
- Height 2.38 in.
- Weight 3 lb
- Width 10.75 in.
- Depth 7.5 in.
- Ram Technology: SDRAM
- Supported Media: CD-ROM
- Ram Capacity: 2MB
- Region Code: NTSC
- CPU: MIPS R3000A
- Memory Capacity: 1MB
- Country Region: North America
Can You Buy This Now?
That’s the 10 Million dollar question. Can you actually buy one of these consoles?
Not in store hehe…
But if you dig on the internet you’ll be able to find two listings where you can buy them. The problem though is that they are “brand new“, and anything brand new will be expensive. How about, 5 digit expensive?
Right now there’s two Japanese 10 Million Edition PlayStation Prize consoles for sale. One of them are VGA Graded (link here) with an asking price of $20,000 and the other console for sale is “technically” brand new although it has been opened and the seller is asking $18,000 for it (link here). Both 10 Million consoles have a “best-offer” on it.
So far there doesn’t seem to be any best-offers on them, but as they always say, “there’s always a buyer out there”. I just have a feeling that the sellers will need to wait a while before selling them.
Past Game Life Listings
Game Life had posted auctions for the PlayStation 10 Million Model Special Edition Console but the ending price was not captured. However, you can find the link below to each individual auction:
So with all that said here’s some videos talking about the PlayStation 10 Million Prize Console: